Monday, October 5, 2009

Totally a win win

"Honor the Lord in everything you do and don't follow your own desires or talk idly. If you do this, the Lord will be your delight. I will give you great honor and give you your full share of the inheritance I promised to Jacob. I the Lord have spoken!"

Now, I am by no means a prosperity for the righteous prayer of jabez type (that theology, one might say, is not only not right but might even be in exact opposition to the life we are called to lead) however I can't help but feel a little like the fathers favorite when I read this type of passage in Isaiah. It's nothing more than a simple promise.

This isn't making the faith out to be witchcraft ( if I say the right incantation God is "forced" to act) nor is it making God into what I like to call a "Coke" machine (if I put in my money and press the button I get what I want) Rather it is God, in light of the knowledge that we fall so horribly short of honoring the Lord in everything we do, calling us to do exactly that. And because of that shortcoming we are truly forced to rely on him not only for the blessing but the very strength to ATTAIN said blessing.

It's really a win win if you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment