Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Things move fast when you're young

So tonight we told the team, the first public group to know, that I will be leaving Matthews. Everything is happening so fast. It's hard for me to keep up, much less keep people informed. Best effort 1-2-3 go.

For weeks now I've been unsettled. Frustrated. My "home", Chapel Hill, is having a hard time as well. They have some intense staffing issues that are just...nuts. People are really upset. Really.

So I came to the table with an offer of sorts to come back. The comittee, though vocal in favor, decided to give the person at the center of their misery a little bit more of a chance. He's already been there a year. They want to do that until Dec. 8. This in and of itself caused even more of a stink and for the first time in church history the recomendation from that team was voted down by another. Sort of like checks and balances.

Either way I was devastated when I heard the news. I mean it made logical and spiritual sense for me so the meeting seemed like a mere formality. I was so upset that night. I felt locked in to being where I am. Not happy.

After consorting with a mentor. I was reminded that that door was probably still open. In fact, probably more open than it was before. He also suggested another exciting possibility. Another story.

Either way the plan was to go ahead and begin conversation with Matthews about my transition. Because even if I ended up going back to CH to work randomly for a while as I waited on ministry; I'd be happier than here and miserable.

Those conversations were very constructive and full of peace. We thought and prayed through what it would look like; stay through Christmas or go ahead a do something soon. We decided that, in order to help me go ahead and move forward, to work out a sooner than later transition.

In the meantime I got an offer on my house for sale in Chapel Hill that has been on the market since May.

Now the 'reasons' why I am not a good fit here is exactly that. Just not a good fit. It's not that I'm bad or the church is bad. I don't feel like I fit into not only the church culture but also just the culture of the town. The church hired me to move them forward in worship arts, to dream big, its what I love to do and was successful for many years in CH. However there is a huge disparity between where they are right now, where I am right now, the niche they serve, and what I bring to the table. Again, it's just different.

It's just not where I am called to serve right now. My passions and gifts aren't being utilized and to force it would be disingenuous to me and take them in a place they aren't necessarily called to go.

Timeline:
Tuesday: Meeting decides to give homeboy a little more chance.
Wednesday: Conversation with mentor opens up doors and my heart to other options rather than just sitting here unhappy.
Thursday: Conversation with boss about my transition.
Friday: Offer on the house.
Monday: Conversation with boss and senior pastor to finalize our decision to transition.
Wednesday (Today): Inform worship team about the transition.
Thursday 14th: Staff and churchwide email to inform them.
18th: Announce at wkd services
25th: Last Sunday here.
27th: Closing on house.
31st: Lease is up on apt in Charlotte.

Hmmm. How about all that timing. My lease ending, the house closing. Also if you don't know, house closings usually take 6+weeks, instead they are pushing through and set the date for right at 2 weeks. Two weeks. It's beyond crazy.

Also because Matthews invited me to be here they feel that it is important not to just send me out on my own but they are putting together an actual severance package for me. That's unheard of. But awesome. So between that and selling the house I'm so ok. In fact I'm planning fill that next month or so doing some relief work around the Pacific rim most affected by typhoons, floods and earthquakes. Love it.

Of course its so very hazy. But just to look around and see how God works is incredible. The truth is - and I hope I can always see this - that when things don't work out the way we think they might it's often because they are going to work out even better.

I want to share that spiritual fact with everyone I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment