Sunday, October 18, 2009

Synapses

I went to dinner and a movie this evening. I don't mind doing that alone from time to time. Yeah I guess it does make you a little sad or wonder what people think when they see you. But it does give me time to muse and process the world around me just to myself. I'm not sure if that is good or bad.

The movie, Bright Star, was about the love between poet John Keats and Franny Brawne. The wordsmithing and intense emotion was incredible. I wish there was a better word. They are in love and absence creates a palpable pain in their hearts. Living in one anothers letters. It was very beautifully shot as well. One of the best lines, in defending his love for Miss Brawne to one of his cynical friends; "There is a holiness to the hearts affections you know nothing about." Great. Just great.

Chapel Hill was good for my heart, as I have already written about. However, I was thinking about my time there and that I didn't really (at church anyway) interact with people "just like me" -age, marital status, interests etc - but yet I felt at home. I find that striking because one of 'reasons' for feeling alone here is that I don't see those connections with other people here. Maybe those things don't matter as much as I like to think. It still strikes me as curious when I hear Joel, in his late 40's, or Robert, at 17, describe or introduce me as one of their "friends". It does make me feel accepted, so much.

While waiting on the movie, Ingrid Michaelson's "Everybody" was playing. Such a happy song. 

I have an idea for a table I want to build. I've wanted to build furniture for a while. Instead of using timber in a linear fashion, I'll make the top out of the round cross sections trimmed to fit tightly. It will still be a rectangular table but I think the roundness of the rings will cause an interesting blending of rigid and organic.

The next two weeks are going to be busy and uncertain. I'm ok with that. I'm excited to see doors open. I know they will. I'm excited to stay in the word and the life it brings.

I wish my phone would ring. I miss that very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment