Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Perfect Gentleman

I used to hear that phrase a lot in my growing-up-church years (by growing up in church I mean from about age 14 on) that God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit was a perfect gentleman. He only stands at the door knocking, never forcing himself in. That was to pertain to salvation and baptism in the spirit particularly. I find that very true. We easily accept the idea of free will when it comes to those things. However, I've been thinking, what about everything else? Does God magically make us happy, content, force a ring on our finger with the perfect spouse, wise beyond all compare?

In this perpetual hide and seek of discerning my plan from the Plan, I often have to say "Well, God is in control, what he Plans will come to pass." My job. My relationships. Where I live. Everything. And I believe that wholeheartedly.

However.

There is also a side wherein we are called to use our brains and our hearts, to test our spirits, and choose rightly. We have to weigh the pros and cons, lay aside our fears, take leaps of faith, seek Godly counsel.

And sometimes make mistakes.

Remember he does not force salvation upon us, though his prevenient grace works in us. Maybe he doesn't force us in our other decisions either. To marry the right person. To choose the right job. To live without fear. To be happy.

We choose to submit our petitions to him (Luke 11). Ask for wisdom (James 1). Seek Godly counsel (James 5). And ultimately choose, through service to him, to find that happiness (Joshua 24). A perfect gentleman we must invite him in to guide these decisions.

I say all this, again, as I wrestle with delineating between my own thoughts and desires versus those of the Lord. I can't simply say "God take care of it". I trust him. But he also wants me to choose.

This I know, er, am learning more:
"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear..."

Fear of the past and how we made the wrong decision that still haunts us. Fear that history will repeat itself. Fear of ourselves, inadequacies. Fear of others, acceptance.

Please, come on in.

No comments:

Post a Comment